The stability of urban trees is a key question that affects everyone. Diseased and unstable urban trees pose much risk for everyone, and are a serious liability for municipalities in case of an accident. Tree stability assessment is therefore of the utmost importance. At present, there is only one accepted method for root stability assessment (inclino pulling test), while there are a few options to evaluate the condition of the trunk (elasto pulling test, tomographies).
Our new concept, the dynamic root and trunk stability determination is based on real life wind loads, and is therefore more appropriate for assessing real life risks. It is also much simpler to carry out than the traditional pulling test, with the only drawback being that it requires windy weather.
- Assemble the anemometer tower in the vicinity of the tree(s) to be assessed. Attach the anemometer on the top, and erect the tower. Wind velocity readings are sent to, and data is collected at the instrument box located at the bottom of the tower.
- Start recording data by pressing the START button located in the instrument box.
- Mount the inclinometer on the root collar of the tree to be assessed.
- Mount the elastometers onto the trunk of the tree to be assessed. Connect them to the central unit.
- Start recording data by pressing the START buttons located on the side of the instrument box.
- Repeat the previous 3 steps if you have more inclinometers and/or elastometers want to assess multiple trees.
- Record data for at least 3 hours (the longer the better).
- After the recordings are finished, transfer the acquired data to a PC by removing the internal SD card or by switching the instruments to Wi-Fi mode.
- Load the data into the DynaTree evaluation software and calculate the safety factor.
- Inclinometer recorder (min 1 pcs., recommended 3 pcs.)
- Base plate with ball head
- 2 elastometers in quick mounting house
- Dual elastometer box
- Screw and screwdriver
- Software on CD
- User’s manual
- Lead batteries and charger
- Alu case
- Anemometer (ball type or ultrasonic) and recorder
- 10 m portable pole
- Alu tube (6 sections)
- Steel anchor rod (3 pcs.)
- 12 m long rope (3 pcs.)